Taken at Rukuhia, 20 January,1993. The Grasshopper is a military version of the Cub, distinguishable by the extra window area. This particular aircraft served in a liason/observation role in the European theatre during WWII, before being withdrawn in 1944. Used by the Colonial Service in the Pacific, it operated in several island groups before making its way to New Zealand. Although privately owned, the aircraft is now associated with the NZ Vintage Aero Club, based in Hamilton.
© 1996 Phillip Treweek, all rights reserved