Taken at RNZAF Base Woodbourne, April 19, 2000. The 14 Squadron markings feature on both intakes. The white diamonds on a black background surround the Squadron crest, which features a Kea ( a New Zealand mountain parrot) on a branch unfolding its wings. The motto is Kia Maia, Kia U, Kia Ngawaru. The squadron was formed in 1942 at Ohakea and equipped with Kittyhawk aircraft. They served in the Pacific, later re-equipping with Corsairs. Disbanded in October 1945, the Squadron was reformed in December of that year and served with J-Force. The Corsairs were scrapped in Japan and in 1951 the Squadron received Vampires. They served in Cyprus (1952-55) and Malaya (based at Tengah in Singapore), being re-equipped with Canberras in 1960. The squadron returned to New Zealand in 1966. After the Canberras were retired in 1970 the squadron used Vampire and TA-4K aircraft before receiving the Strikemaster in 1972. MB339-CB aircraft came online in 1991.
© 2000 Phillip Treweek, all rights reserved